Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Childhood Redux

As someone in their late 20s, I am oft crippled by bouts of childhood nostalgia. Capitalizing on childhood nostalgia has also turned into a big business, with results that are usually horrible, such as the Transformers movie, quite possibly one of the worst pieces of garbage ever made.

But sometimes companies get it right, as is the case here. When I was a kid, my friend Ammon and I would frequently walk to the hilariously named "New Food Store" a few blocks from my house to buy Pepsi and beef jerky. One day we noticed a new game at the store, a little something called Street Fighter 2. I was instantly hooked, and within weeks I literally walked door-to-door in my neighborhood selling my collection of old Nintendo and Gameboy games, hoping to raise enough money to buy a new Super Nintendo and Street Fighter 2. I did, and it was awesome.

Next week Street Fighter IV is being released. It looks amazing, so to prepare, I am indulging in both the game and this awesome arcade stick.

Check out the Japanese promo video below. The JPOP song accompanying the trailer is oddly hypnotic



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love street fighter 2. I downloaded it on the wii and play it all the time. When I was in third grade I daydreamed about playing the game all day. Unfortunately I never got a super nintendo. To this day i still love the game though.

Melissa said...

Chad, next time you want a SF4 beat down, you know where to find me. ;)