The following data comes from this website. In terms of election data compilation, it is, in my opinion, the best place to go for info on the 'horse race.'
As you can see from the most recent data, McCain is basically screwed. His campaign announced last week they wanted to "turn the page" on the economic news, and instead spend the rest of the election going full negative against Obama. As you can see from the link, Obama quickly capitalized on this bizarre announcement. As Karl Rove said this weekend, you don't announce to the public you are going to quit talking about issues and instead will do nothing but attack the character of your opponent, you just do it!
I feel sorry for McCain in that respect, he is running one of the most poorly executed campaigns I can remember. Whether his gambit will work remains to be seen. In my estimation, times are too perilous for that kind of home-stretch tactic to work. That kind of thing would probably have been effective in 1996 or 2000, but this year it might just put the nail in McCain's coffin faster than ever.
There is already speculation that the RNC has effectively given up hope on the Presidential campaign, and will instead divert funds to hotly contested Congressional races. In essence, McCain would then be forced to fight on two fronts; attempting to gain ground on Obama in formerly Republican-safe states, while simultaneously fighting the RNC to keep sufficient funding flowing into the states the McCain campaign still wants to contest.



4 comments:
Great Blog, keep it up!
I seriously wonder what McCain thinks about while in bed at night... Does he wonder what the eff is happening and where he went wrong?
And is it just me or do both him and Palin look bad lately? Like they're about ready to have a total meltdown. I don't know how they get up in the morning and keep going. It's so embarassing.
^ Hil, you are right on. You can visibly see the internal conflict every time McCain talks, and it was evident at the debate. He is awkwardly playing three roles at the same time, and it comes across very unnatural.
As long as he keeps trying to be a maverick, loyal Republican, and mean-spirited attack dog all at the same time, I doubt he will improve in the polls, given the current economic situation. McCain needs a direct and concise campaign message and theme, but at this point I think it is too late for him to get one. I definitely feel sorry for him, I get the feeling he hasn't been in control of his campaign's strategy, and it has definitely hurt him.
Thanks for the Stats and charts.
I agree it is getting embarrassing McCain would have had such a better run if he sidestepped that bag Palin and gone with Jindal or someone of the sort. I've hated her from the RNC what a complete and total idiot.
Post a Comment